Photo © Sue Holton
The Grange, Ramsgate
Built on the clifftop over looking Ramsgate harbour by Augustus Pugin between 1843-4 to live in with his family, it is now restored and owned by the Landmark Trust. He built it to live out his idea of life in a medieval, Catholic community, in Gothic style buildings. His vision was of a family home nestling in the shadow of a benevolent monastery and he bought enough land to erect St Augustine's Abbey Church next door. The house is about a mile from our home.
This is the back of the house which looks over the cliffs towards France where once was beach, but today unfortunately has a direct view of the Ramsgate ferry port lorry park !